Posted by Kristi Shoemaker
Below are ten sales manager interview questions that you can use when interviewing potential sales manager for your department. These where shared in one of my LinkedIn Groups.
- If I were to interview the people who have reported to you in the past, how would they describe your management style?
- If I were to interview your reporting staff members, how would they describe your strengths and weaknesses as a manager and supervisor?
- Give me an example, from your past work experiences, about a time when you had an underperforming employee reporting to you. How did you address the situation? Did the employee’s performance improve? If not, what did you do next?
- Rate your management skills on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 representing excellent management skills. Provide three examples from your past work experiences that demonstrate your selected number is accurate.
- Describe the work environment or culture and its management style in which you have experienced the most success.
- Tell me about a time when you had a reporting employee who performed very well. The employee exceeded goals and sought more responsibility. Describe how you handled this situation day-to-day and over time.
- Describe three components of your philosophy of sales management that demonstrate what you value and add, as an individual, to an organization’s culture and work environment.
- What factors are crucial within an organization and must be present for you to work most effectively?
- Tell me about a time when you reorganized a department or significantly changed employee work assignments. How did you approach the task? How did the affected employees respond to your actions?
- One of the jobs of a sales manager or supervisor is to manage performance and perform periodic performance reviews. Tell me how you have managed employee performance in the past. Describe the process you have used for performance feedback.
Learn more about Talent Acquisition and Identification and EcSELL Institute's 6 Pillars of Sales Productivity management model.
To stay informed of the latest research and best practices in sales management, sign up for our complimentary Sales Management Newsletter!