Dr. Peter Jensen, President of Performance Coaching Inc., Professor of Sales Management, Queens School of Business and acclaimed author and management expert, spoke at the EcSELL Institute Sales Coaching Summit this spring. Dr. Jensen presented the core practices exceptional leaders use to ignite the "Third Factor" (which EcSELL Institute calls the Catalytic Factor) in themselves and others. Dr. Jensen provided a clear view of what separates 'igniters' from 'extinguishers'.
Here are the highlights from his Summit session.
How do you get people committed to reaching their full potential?
Definition of the Third Factor:
How sales managers can ignite the "Third Factor" in themselves:
Communication skills you need to ignite the "Third Factor"
- Ask effective questions
- Listen actively
- Give competent, relevant feedback
- Understand the impact you have on others
- Know your own beliefs
- Be the first to extend trust
- Understand progression
- Involve the performer
- Help people see what is possible
- Paint clear pictures
- Encourage them to translate
- Uncover and work through road blocks
- Embrace adversity by reframing it
- Be prepared for adversity