Being a coach is not easy and on some days it can be quite exhausting. The trick is to keep your motivation for being a motivator! Sustaining motivation can be tough under the best of circumstances.
Motivation is not magic...there is no quick and painless way to be engaged and stay engaged with your team. The following 5 steps will help you accomplish your task and keep some balance in the process.
1. Set a goal and visualize it. Elite athletes almost always visualize their performance ahead of time — right down to how it will feel to cross the finish line amongst the cheers of their friends and family.
2. Make a list of why you want to be a great coach/motivator. In this crazy busy world, it is very easy to get blown off your course. This is why you need to be certain of your important role as coach.
3. Have a strategy, but be prepared to change your course if needed. It's easy to give up if you are discouraged, but real change and the course of change can only be accomplished if you are focused toward your goal of improving your team's skills and performance on a daily basis.
4. Get the help you need. When you reach an impasse or need some extra advice, ask the leaders you admire in your life to lend an ear and maybe a hand in solving the problem.
5. Keep checking in with your reasons for wanting to carry on toward your goal of building a world-class sales team. Steve Jobs once told an interviewer, "I think most people that are able to make a sustained contribution over time--rather than just a peak--are very internally driven. You have to be. Because, in the ebb and tide of people's opinions and of fads, there are going to be times when you are criticized, and criticism very difficult. And so when you're criticized, you learn to pull back a little and listen to your own drummer. And to some extent, that isolates you from the praise, if you eventually get it, too. The praise becomes a little less important to you and the criticism becomes a little less important to you in the same measure. And you become internally driven."
Exclusive Information for Sales Leaders
Want to become more adept at leading and coaching teams to a higher degree of skill and success? ONE-UP sales coaching cloud provides a research based coaching methodology, tracks implementation of high pay-off coaching activities, and measures coaching effectiveness. Click the link below to watch a powerful video about ONE-UP and to learn more about the impact managers have on their sales team. http://www.ecsellinstitute.com/one-up
The Fall Sales Coaching Summit registration is now live. Make sure to use the promo code "earlybird" to save $100 on your registration. See you all in Dallas! http://www.ecsellinstitute.com/summit-fall-2014